Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Red Rum

So there are many reasons why the bedroom on the back of our house reminded me of the Shining, but primarily it was the red wall-to-wall carpet, lack of many windows, and low ceilings. I started thinking about this and remembered that weird scene in the Shining when, I think, REDRUM, is spelled on the mirror. And then...I started thinking about how in New England, many people pronounce room like rum. So it has become a little joke in my head that our weird back bedroom is now the Red Rum.

Well, it's not the Red Rum for long. Jon began demo on Sunday night. We have a lot of cellulose insulation in our house and apparently it's pretty efficient, but have you ever tried to take it out? Holy mess. Also, we have tons of plaster. Plaster, lathe, cellulose insulation and a gross old red carpet make for the largest mess I've even seen within my dwelling. But demo is the first step towards our spanking new, gorgeous bedroom/master suite.

We met with our contractor yesterday morning who informed us that my dream of new dormer windows is totally out of our price range. Bummer, but I'll get over it. Instead, the plan is that we'll extend the existing shed dormer, add about 4 skylights, and a new window on the end of the house. This should solve the lighting problem. We're also tearing out the ceiling, so that will extend the head room making the room feel much larger. We're going to install beadboard on the ceiling and paint it with pretty high gloss paint to help reflect light. The roof is also going to be replaced, which is an annoying expense, but it's needed within 2 years anyway.

And the best thing is that we're going to start on this as soon as the demo is completed. It shouldn't be more than a couple weeks.

Red Rum Before:

Nice cracks in the plaster...

View the sagging ceiling...

That's a false front fireplace...

We found this wood stove pipe cover behind the fake brick.
This is where our bathroom will go...

The other side of the bathroom.

The stairway from the television room to the Red Rum.


Red Rum After the Start of Demo:

This is the cellulose! I could only get pictures from the bottom of the stairs as I couldn't find Jon's respirator!Yummmmy.
I can only imagine what it looks like up there.
Thank goodness the exposed roof structure looks healthy!

I can't wait to see that wallpaper gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment