Thursday, November 5, 2009

Don't look in the attic!

Our housewarming party was last Friday and I have to say I am proud of the way everything turned out. Jon and I were discussing that this party was the first party we've thrown as true 'adults.' Hmm. I don't know how we decided that we are now adults, but there it is. I've felt it coming for a while now...but china, wine glasses, baked brie. They are all pointing in a direction. And that direction begins with an A.

Other than the disturbing realization that now we're adults, we also realized that there's nothing like a housewarming party to make homeowners productive. In the two weeks before our party we stripped the rest of the wallpaper in our kitchen, re-plastered the walls in our dining room and kitchen, primed and painted the dining room, painted the trim in our new bedroom, unpacked all of our books, rearranged our 'study' and cleaned about 8 times. Plaster dust is my new number one enemy. Yes, it's even worse than Porter fur. But the combination is downright awful.

To be honest, we made the amazing discovery that our neighbor is a plaster and dry wall professional. He is fantastic. His work is perfect. And our walls are beautiful. Slum no more!

So after all of the work and cleaning, my parents came up to Maine and helped me prepare for the party. Who knew there was such a thing as colored leaf doilies to put on your serving plates under cheese and the like? That would be my Mom, aka as Karen "Martha Stewart" Helm. And we searched all over Central Maine for these puppies. No where to be found. So my Mom bought them on her return home to PA and sent them to me for the party. And yes, I used them. I placed them under my 'made from scratch' pumpkin cupcakes. Are you barfing yet? No? Just wait.

We also purchased a burnt orange hemstitch runner and a white linen hemstitch table cloth from Williams-Sonoma. Not only does the burnt orange match my Sacred Bird and Butterfly China from Mottahedah, but it goes perfectly with the harvest theme of our party. I know you're sick now. (As a side note, I think runners give one the option of making a seasonal table, without having to buy a completely different color tablecloth. If you have a good basic white table cloth, pretty much any color runner will go perfectly with it. Next on my list: navy for summer! Yes, I'm already planning our next party!)

The funny thing about all of this is that I truly had fun getting the house ready for our party. I loved it. And instead of describing it and making myself sick, maybe I should just put some photos up.

Here's the caveat about the photos...my camera was out of batteries, so we had to use an iPhone. Not the greatest, but they'll give you the idea:





We put luminaries on either side of our front walk to welcome guests to our house.


Here's one of our two pumpkins.


When guests came in, we brought them right to the bar- of course!


We also had a 1/4 keg of Gritty's Halloween Ale



We moved the furniture in our TV room to accommodate more people. There are my fab UO chairs!



This is an antique table that belonged to my Grandmother, Mimi. On top, I covered it with an Irish linen runner, a bowl with floating beeswax candles (thanks Mom and Dad), multicolored maize, gords, mini-pumpkins, and paper leaves. I also used this table for a bowl of roasted pumpkin seeds, almonds, and candy corn!


And here's the table. Jon took this picture before I put all the food out. It looked pretty spectacular with all the food. Ugh...I wish we had better photos.

Another shot...sort of.

Before our party, I mapped out an all day workplan (complete with time limits on each activity). I made sure to get everything done on time and in order and that made for a great party, with relatively little stress. It was A TON of work, but not stressful. And I think our guests enjoyed themselves too! Can't wait for the next one!


5 comments:

  1. I was one of the lucky guests, and it was a FABULOUS party. The house was beautiful --as I said to Susanna on the way in, I thought I'd missed a turn and ended up at Skylands ;-)

    Susanna and Jon, you were wonderful hosts, the food was delicious, and your house amazing. Dan and I had really great time.

    Wait, navy for summer? I think you've missed a season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alice! So glad to know you and Dan had fun. Yes...I am trying to justify spending the money to have another party before the end of the year...but I'm not sure I can. A certain someone is turning 30 this summer...and I think a party would make him feel better about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, WOW! All I have to say, is if I met that bar in the hallway right by the front door, I might not have made it any further. It looks delicious! And I just drool over your house. The molding. The huge paned windows!!

    Your chairs look great! Wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susanna! I didn't barf, but I am filled with shame. Shame! You are totally an adult throwing adult parties. The party looked amazing. The house looks amazing. And I desperately covet those chairs. I love this blog and getting to see you apply your impeccable taste to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the UO chairs! What a fantastic pattern and even better in a pair. Looks like you threw a party Martha herself would envy! I've been loving reading all the updates - keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete