Saturday, November 7, 2009

22 Windows Without Curtains

When Jon and I moved in to our new house at the end of June, we were struck by the design choices of the previous owners - and not in a good way. They were lovely people so I'll be polite. As I've noted before, the wall paper covering every room was likely put up in 1982. Clashing florals: hot pink in the dining room, white and pink in the kitchen, dark green in the center hall, and tan plaid in the study.  To compliment the floral wall paper, the previous owners put up lace curtains in the living room, sheer (and not silk sheer, I'm talking straight polyester) panels of a greenish tint in the dining room, green sheers in the pink bedroom, more polyester lace in another bedroom, and brown canvas panels in the study.

The previous owners left their window treatments behind, which was a very nice gesture. And because I knew I wouldn't get around to sewing new curtains for quite a while, I decided to leave them up even though I wasn't so keen on the appearance.

Well, I couldn't take it anymore. At the beginning of October when Jon was away I just went a little nuts. I took everything down in a rampage. I called Jon like an ashamed little kid, "Jon. I have something to tell you."

"What? Are you okay?" I could tell he was worried.

"I took down all the window treatments. I couldn't stand it anymore."

"Well, what are we going to do? Just have no curtains?"

"I'm telling you...it looks WAAAAY better."

"Fine."

Click.

It was a little more cordial than that, but it does look waaay better. But now I need to select fabric and at least try to get started on curtains. I have a long, dark, cold Maine winter ahead of me which will provide lots of time for sewing.


When I was growing up, there was a Calico Corners within 15 minutes of my house. Actually, pretty much anything you needed or wanted was within 15 minutes of my house, so I'm spoiled. Central Maine is a different story. Thank goodness for the internerd.

You'll remember that we painted our bedroom a light blue/turquoise color. I'm still questioning that decision a little, but I'm hoping to fix it with my curtains. I need to dress up the room a bit and to do that, I want to add a dark brown element. Here are some of the initial swatches I've ordered from Calico Corners. I WELCOME input:



The first one is called Blossom (in Chocolate) and it is made of 95% cotton, 5% linen. The second one is called Scramble (in Chocolate) and it is made of 55% linen, 45% rayon.

Here are some tips on drapery fabric (all credit to my Mom, an incredible seamstress):  Always get a swatch of the fabric before you buy all that you need. You can't tell "drape" from an image in a catalog or online. The "drape" of the fabric is key. How well does it look hanging- does it fall naturally or look stiff? Just imagine a curtain blowing in the wind: one that billows slightly will drape naturally, but one that moves in one big piece won't drape as naturally. In my limited experience, I love the way linen blends drape. I aim for natural fabrics (linen, cotton, silk), but those are usually more expensive. Just stay far, far away from polyester. I mean it.

Soon, I'll post how to make a gorgeous curtain that's actually pretty easy. It's a historic design that I learned from my Mom, but it fits perfectly in a modern home meaning that it's totally functional yet lovely and unique.

Let me know which fabric you like better!

7 comments:

  1. That's just because your last name is Bloom. :) Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if you did the bedskirt in the other pattern? Or a headboard? Or a chair?

    No, I'm the slowest when it comes to anything related to my name. It took me a week to realize my last name is Bloom and I work in a flower shop. I even asked my boss if she noticed and she was like, um. Yes. When you applied.

    Maybe Milwaukee air is shrinking my intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abbey- You need to come visit me and help. I love the idea of mixing fabrics. And I think I'll definitely do it. Ugh. I need a bigger budget. And more time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they really complement each other. (Nice work you on picking those two!) Plus, if you decide you want less pattern, you just put the curtains/bedskirt/or chair in another room!

    I completely understand. Why do I even have a budget? God. The unfairness of it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read another post! Or see pictures! I love your house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Blossom! I also really like those blue Ikat chairs you ordered forever ago---but I just figured out how to leave a comment.
    Also, my new obsession--if you want to try mixing fabrics--is John Robshaw textiles. i don't think its cheap, but really good for ideas. I was in a little boutique in a mountain town in Maui that was all done in his stuff and it is beyond dreamy. I love how nothing matches (obviously), but it all fits together anyway. He is my new fave! xxa

    ReplyDelete