Thursday, April 29, 2010

Back to curtains...

You are probably picking up on a trend here: I have lots of ideas...and lots of desires...and no implementation. I keep telling myself if I only I didn't have to work...maybe I'd have time for all the things I want to do. Ohh...such is the life of a modern working lady.

So, our bedroom has been complete (other than all the things I wish I could buy to put in it) since, well, late-October. And we haven't had curtains this whole time! It was okay during the winter when it was dark for most of the time here in Maine- I'd just turn out the lights in the room to hide from the neighbors, but now that day light savings time is in effect...and summer is nipping at my heels, I really need to do something about our curtains!

We just have too much to do around the house- it's almost debilitating. Do I go outside and pull weeds? Stay inside and strip paint? Stay inside and strip wall paper? Paint? Vacuum dog hair? Clean dishes? Shop online for new light fixtures? Scour catalogs for more things I can't afford? Or do I sew curtains?

I told you I needed to quit my job.

I got a bunch of samples from Calico Corners and narrowed my search down to one specific print, but I'm still deciding on color. I think I'm veering away from brown. I think I like the light, slate blue color better. It's softer and more relaxing - good for a bedroom. The fabric is 55% linen and 45% rayon so it has a lovely drape. I can just imagine my completed curtains billowing in the cool summer breeze. Hah. Oh yeah- and these are the only new windows in our house. We added these during our major bedroom renovation:

3 comments:

  1. What style of curtain are you envisioning? Shades or draw curtains?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of trying to make roman shades...but that might be pushing my skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun to see your room with some signs of life in it - I seem to remember it with a huge shopvac sitting in the middle - so, see, you have made progress! It seems to me you will want your curtains in that room to do three things - provide some privacy, especially on the bottom half so the neighbors can't see you dressing (!), provide as much light as possible for those dark Maine winters, and look beautiful and add color and focus to your room. So - what style curtain to choose? As you know I'm partial to the drapery curtain, but they would not work with three windows set close together. Roman shades would have to be closed entirely to give you privacy (and they won't billow in the wind...), but they would be pretty, for sure. Have you thought about shutters on the bottom, with just a simple (billowy) valance across the top? You could pick up the fabric in some other area of your room - duvet cover, throw pillows, seat cushion, etc. The possibilities are endless - and fun to think about! XXOO to you

    ReplyDelete